This is a site all about how to publish for the Kindle and we’ve got some great posts about exactly that.
- Formatting for the Kindle: What’s the right format? – A run through of Amazon’s formatting options and a recommendation of the best route from manuscript to perfectly formatted ebook. When asking how to self-publish your ebook, it’s fundamental to be aware of what file formats you can upload and the pros and cons of each (hint: the cons rule out all but one of them)
- Word is (still) not the right format for ebook conversion – a little more warning against using Microsoft Word as the basis for publishing your book digitally
- The importance of a good ebook cover – working out how to publish your book involves more than the technical questions. This is a musing on the role of the cover in signalling quality and content. We do judge books by their covers so it’s important you don’t overlook the cover when publishing your book.
- What is a “location”? – pages have no place in an ebook with flowable text (the ability to resize text so more or less appears on the screen), so now we have “locations”.
- How your ebook can sell itself – This might sound like a marketing post but when you’re formatting your book to publish it, you need to make sure it’s laid out to benefit from all the baked in features of the device.
These free posts will give you a great start. When you’re ready to get your manuscript ready, How to Format Perfect Kindle Books (formerly Kindle Formatting) has been described as the best guide on the market. You can read more about it here and see more in the video below.
“I hope that How to Format Perfect Kindle Books is a huge success. You explain some things so much better than other so-called ‘experts’ that I have read (and paid for) that it’s almost a joke. I have no doubt that, with your help, assembling my ebooks will be a breeze.” — Peter Hart, author